SARAIK AREA STUDY CENTER (SASC)
Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan.
Saraiki is one of the oldest civilized regions of the world, contemporary to Harappa and Mohenjodardo. Its ancient history is yet not unveiled. If proper and scientific research is conducted on history, language, literature, culture and anthropology of this region, many of hidden treasurers may be excavated.
Professor Dr. Ghulam Mustafa Chaudhry Vice Chancellor Bahauddin Zakariya University had taken a historic step by establishing the Saraiki Research Center.
The Syndicate of Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan at its 6/2000 meeting held on 2-9-2000 approved the establishment of full-fledged Saraiki Research Center at the
University premises with a view to do research on culture, history, language, literature,
fine arts and other different aspects of Saraiki Region /South Punjab. In 2009, Centre was renamed as SASC on the recommendation of Academic Council, The Syndicate in its meeting held on 23-05-2009. Annex (I & II)
i. Name of the center will be Saraiki Area Study Centre (SASC)
ii. The syndicate shall exercise general supervision over the Board of governors and shall exercise administrative and financial control over. SASC.
a) The Govt. of Pakistan /HEC/Bahauddin Zakariya University authorities will approve the necessary grants for SASC in its annual budget.
b) Saraiki Area Study Center may achieve grants, donations and other necessary assistance from the governmental or non-governmental agencies and organizations or individuals with the consent of the Vice Chancellor of B .Z. University.
2. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
Saraiki Area Study Center will be a research institute and will work on the lines of Egyptology, Indology, Iranology and Sindhology. Its main objectives and aims will be as under:-
a) To conduct and promote research on history, culture, literature, languages and fine arts etc. of Sariaki region.
b) To collect and preserve published and unpublished material of all types about relevant subjects in any language and in any form.
c) To conduct studies and seminars about anthropological, socio-cultural, political and economic aspects and issues of past and present of Saraiki region.
d) To project Saraiki culture, language, literature, fine arts and people on national and international forums.
f) To interpret and promote arts and crafts of this region.
g) To collect, preserve and display musical traditions and instruments of the region.
h) To collect, record and preserve oral literature and historic traditions of the region.
i) To publish basic resource material on different aspects of the region.
j) To publish research articles journals and books about the said aspects and others (coming into light after research).
k) To prepare and issue suitable reference and bibliographic tools.
1) To break new grounds in respect of cultural literary and research activities.
m) To achieve its aims and objectives, Saraiki Area Study Center will have to establish a valuable research library.
n) To publish a regular research journal and books on wide ranging subjects as follows.
i. Anthropology of this region and Indus valley,
ii. Social history and contemporary social situation of the region.
iii. Objective political history of the region.
iv. Economic history of the region with special reference to present situation of Pakistan.
v. Literary history of the region.
vi. A history of Saraiki music and musical instruments.
vii. A history of arts and crafts of this region.
viii. Architecture in Saraiki region.
ix. Linguistic survey.
x. Ethnological field survey,
xi. Saraiki English, Urdu dictionary.
xii. English Saraiki dictionary.
xiii. A comprehensive Saraiki grammar.
xiv. Relevant books from other languages will be got translated into Saraiki language.
xv. Books and audio-visual aids to teach Saraiki language to non-Saraiki speakers in English Urdu and Saraiki languages will be prepared and published.
xvi. Old Saraiki books and manuscripts will be searched and published.
o) To establish, microfilm unit and to prepare computer discs of different subjects.
p) To prepare relevant software for computer, SASC may establish its own research unit or it may get help from relevant institutions or individuals in this regard.
q) To collect paintings and photographs of old and new artists of the region, by donations or purchasing them.
r) To establish a well-equipped film and photographic unit (with still, movie and digital cameras) for preparing slides photographs microfilms, documentary films and computer discs.
s) To establish a language laboratory to do research on Saraiki language and phonology,
t) To establish a museum to preserve the culture, fine arts, artifacts, architecture, language and literature of the Saraiki region.
3. BOARD OF GOVERNERS
(1) COMPOSITION: -
The administration, management and control of Saraiki Area Study Centre (SASC) be vested in a board of governors.
a) The board of Governor will be constituted by the university after every three years as under:-
i. The vice-chancellor, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan. (Chairman)
ii. Chairman HEC or its Nominee (Director Level)
iii. Dean, Faculty of languages and Islamic Studies.
iv. Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, (member)
v. Treasurer Bahauddin Zakariya University (member).
vi. One nominee of and from the Syndicate, B.Z. University (member).
vii. One person of eminence of national repute in social sector nominated by the Vice Chancellor.
viii. Three teachers of the University.
ix. Four persons to be appointed by the vice-chancellor from private sector of the region (one prominent scholar/writer, one representative of mass media (Radio, Television, Newspaper etc) and one representative of well renowned literary or cultural organization. One prominent person related with arts and culture.
x. Director, (member) Saraiki Area Study Center (SASC), will work as the secretary of the board of governors.
a) The board of governor will be responsible for the functioning of the center and will exercise all the powers in this regard defacto possession of the buildings occupied by the center or constructed for the center and all moveable property such as books, furniture, vehicles, machines, computers and other instrumental materials etc.
b) The Board of Governors will present the annual budget proposals for Saraiki Area Study Center (SASC), both recurring and non-recurring, developmental and non-developmental through F & pc and the Syndicate.
c) The Board of Governors will exercise full powers in all administrative and financial matters of the center.
d) All the financial grants of the Government and donations of private sector shall be released in favour of the Chairman of the Board of Governors.
e) The Director of the Centre will be the sanctioning officer. But all accounts will be regulated by relevant university rules.
f) The Board of Governors will determine the terms and conditions of service of the director and other employees of the SASC.
g) The Board of Governors will make/approve all appointments to the different posts in the center.
h) The Board of Governors may frame any rules and regulations as required for the proper functioning of the center.
i) The Board of Governors may delegate any powers, responsibilities and functions to the Chairman of the Board, or the Director of the Center.
j) The Board of Governors will prescribe its own rules of business.
k) The quorum for the meeting of the Board of Governors will be 51% of the total members.
(3) The Director (SASC)
1. There will be a Director of the Saraiki Area Study Centre (SASC) who will be the head of SASC.
2. The Director of SASC will be appointed by the Vice Chancellor/ Chairman of the Board of Governors with the approval of BOG.
3. The Director must have a minimum of fifteen years teaching/research experience and must have vast exposure to the research of language, literature, culture and history.
4. The Director shall exercise such administrative, academic and financial powers as may be delegated to him.
I- Administrative Powers:
1. To appoint technical staff/employers of the rank of junior clerk or below them up to B.S. 6.
2. To arrange and permit study tour of research scholars and other relevant persons within the country.
3. To grant casual leave to the employees and research scholars of SASC.
4. To recommend and make appointments of temporary/part time research scholars, under intimation to Vice Chancellor.
5. To nominate recommend delegates of SASC to the conferences and seminars within and out of the country.
6. All cases of appointments in the center to be referred to the Vice Chancellor / Selection Committee should be submitted through the Director SASC.
7. To make recommendations for grant of leave other than casual leave to the employers of SASC.
8. To submit research proposals/projects to the research committee.
II- FINANCIAL POWERS
1. To order provisional payment of salaries and T.A./D.A. of the employees and research scholars of S R C.
2. To exercise powers to sanction expenditure out of the amount provided in the budget of SASC. The money allocated to different budget heads; shall be expended strictly in terms of the original allocation, if otherwise sanction may be got from the Vice Chancellor.
3. To write oft" articles and losses as per Government of Punjab rules.
4. A statement of the financial powers delegated to the Director SASC is as per Govt. of Punjab rules.
4. EXECUTIVE COMMITEE
(a) There will be an executive committee, which will supervise the day to day functioning of the center. Formation of executive committee shall be as under: -
1. Director of the Center (Chairman)
2. Dean, Faculty of Islamic Studies and languages (Member)
3. Chairman Department of Urdu (Member)
4. Chairman Department of Pak. Studies (Member)
5. Chairman Department of English (Member)
6. Chairman Department of History (Member)
7. One Director of Any one ASC across the Pakistan (Member)
8. Treasurer B.Z. University (Member)
(b) The Director with the assistance of executive committee will exercise all administrative and financial powers in respect of research, translations, publications and academic matters.
(c) The executive committee and the director will prescribe its own rules of business.
5 SELECTION COMMITTEE:
1. There will be a selection committee, which will consist of the following: -
i. The Vice Chancellor, B.Z. University, Multan. (Chairman)
ii. Two members nominated by the Vice Chancellor, who will be from prominent scholars of language, literature, culture, history or Pakistan studies with special reference to Saraiki studies, (at least one from outside B.Z. University)
iii. One member to be nominated by the University Syndicate.
iv. A nominee of the Board of Governor of the Centre.
v. The Director of the Saraiki Area Study Centre.
2. Selection committee will work for the term of two years.
3. The quorum for the meeting of the selection committee will be four.
4. The functions of the Selection Committee will be as under:-
i. To consider the applications of the candidates for the different posts of the
center from grade 16 and above.
ii. To recommend to the Board of Governors the names of the suitable candidates for the said posts
5. The appointment of following categories, which will be made on temporary basis by the Vice Chancellor, on the recommendations of the director.
a) A part-time research scholars.
b) Temporary research scholars.
c) Research Scholars be appointed on an honorarium equivalent to the scale of B.P.S.17.
d) Temporary appointment for a period not exceeding one years or till the appointment of regular incumbent whichever is earlier.
6 RESEARCH COMMITTEE:
The vice-chancellor will constitute a research committee of the Research Center on the recommendations of the director, which will regulate and supervise the research activities of the center and approve the research proposals and projects. This committee will consist of the director and three teachers/scholars of language, literature and history/Pak-studies. The research committee will:
i. Propose, supervise and approve the research proposals and projects.
ii. Prepare annual progress report of the research activities of the Center.
iii. Propose the panels of experts for evaluation of the research proposals, projects, articles and theses etc.
iv. Prepare short term and long term courses and syllabi of relevant subjects to train the research scholars. The research scholar will have to pass these courses to get uniformity in the research activities of the center.
v. On the completion of the courses center will issue certificates and diplomas to the scholars.
vi. Saraiki Area Study Center will also prepare and run the postgraduate and Ph.D. courses and register the scholars for higher research.
8. RESEARCH SCHOLARS
Saraiki Area Study Centre (SASC) shall get the services of research scholars for its research activities and projects: -
1. On regular basis who will have to submit the progress report of their research after every three month.
2. On temporary basis, on the demand of research projects, for six months or one year.
3. After advertising the research projects, the scholars will submit their proposals and the center will give them financial assistance and necessary guidance.
4. The research scholars who get the jobs or projects of SASC will have to get through the research courses of the center if they are nor properly trained already.
5. In every case the research projects, thesis, articles and books will be the property of the Saraiki Area Study Centre.
6. The M. Phil and M.A student of the University may also be assigned research projects as their dissertation along with necessary assistance.